Are you tired of coming home to a drab and uninviting exterior? Do you dream of transforming your home’s curb appeal but worry about the cost? Look no further! In this blog post, we’ll show you how to turn your home from boring to beautiful without breaking the bank. With some creativity and resourcefulness, your house can become the envy of the neighborhood in no time. So grab a pen, take notes, and get ready to transform your home’s exterior from drab to fab!
What is an exterior improvement?
Exterior improvement refers to any alterations, repairs, or replacements made to your home’s exterior that improve its appearance. Whether you’re looking to spruce up the outside of your home or make some large repairs, there are plenty of affordable options out there.
Here are some tips for upgrading your home’s exterior on a budget:
- Start by assessing the condition of your current exterior walls and roofs. If they’re in poor condition, it will be difficult to achieve any significant improvements without spending a lot more money. Fixing minor problems before they become bigger costs is always a good idea.
- Check for potential leaks and cracks in your roof and wall assemblies. Water damage can quickly lead to serious structural damage if not prevented. Repairing these small problems can save you a lot of money in the long run.
- Replace old windows and doors with new, energy-efficient models. Not only will you get better insulation and weather protection from new windows, but also newer styles look much better than old ones! Replacing older windows can cost as little as $100 per door, while doors can run anywhere from $50 to $200 per door depending on the model and type.
- Consider painting or staining your exterior walls instead of replacing them altogether. This inexpensive option can give your home a fresh new look that won’t require much maintenance over time.
Types of exterior improvements
There are numerous ways to spruce up your home’s exterior without breaking the bank. From painting the house to planting a garden, here are three of the most popular and affordable exterior improvements:
A fresh coat of paint can transform a drab exterior into a beautiful one. Not only will it make your home look newer, but it can also improve its energy efficiency. There are many different colors and styles of paints available on the market, so find one that will complement your home’s style and color palette.
If your home’s exterior needs repairs or renovations, don’t be afraid to budget for them. By addressing any problems early on, you’ll save yourself a lot of hassle down the road. Start by assessing priorities from secondary fixes. For instance, a rusty and rickety garage door would look equally bad as peeling or discoloured paint, so you’d want to prioritize a good painting and Garage Door Repair Service. Secondary fixes would include fixing the driveway and other similar tasks. By doing some simple repairs or upgrades now, you can drastically improve the curb appeal and resale value of your home later on.
Adding plants to your front lawn or planting flowers in containers around your home can greatly improve its appearance and curb appeal. Further garden design and landscaping elements can be added according to your wish after researching ideas on Curb Wise and other home outdoor design blogs. Not only do these types of improvements add beauty and functionality to your property, but they’re also relatively affordable (depending on what type of garden design you choose).
Gutter cleaning is an essential maintenance task that should be done frequently to ensure the proper functioning of your home’s gutter system. To effectively improve your exteriors, you can choose to clean your gutters yourself, or look for professional gutter cleaning services to extend its lifespan and protect your home from potential water damage.
How much does exterior improvement cost?
If you’re looking to spruce up your home’s exterior without breaking the bank, there are a few inexpensive tips you can follow. For example, updating your home’s trim and siding can cost as little as a few hundred dollars, and painting or re-papering your home’s exterior is also relatively affordable. Additionally, hiring landscaping companies to give your outdoor space a makeover or considering installations like storm windows and doors can potentially save you money in the long run. To get an idea of how much each of these upgrades will cost you, read on for a rundown of some popular exterior improvements.
A standard paint job on an exterior wall or roof can cost anywhere from $200 to $2,000 depending on the size and scope of the project.
Siding is one of the most common exterior improvements due to its susceptibility to weathering and fading over time. An average repair job may cost around $300-$1,500.
Trim such as fascia boards, soffits, gutter covers, and railings can add value and curb appeal to your home but oftentimes are overlooked when it comes to updates. A typical trim project costs between $100-$600.
Tips for improving your home’s exterior on a budget
There are many ways to improve your home’s exterior on a budget, but some tips are easier than others. Here are four ways to transform your home’s exterior for less:
- Consider color. A color-coordinated exterior can help brighten up a drab house and make it look newer. If you’re on a tight budget, opt for one or two colors that will work together well, like blue and green.
- Use materials that are affordable and easy to maintain. Instead of using expensive materials like granite or stone, consider using inexpensive materials like cinder blocks or pavers. These materials may not be as pretty, but they’re much cheaper to maintain and they can last a long time if cared for properly.
- Upgrade your deck or porch instead of building an entirely new one from scratch. This is an inexpensive way to add value to your home and update your exterior at the same time. Plus, decks and porches provide great spaces to relax in the sun or enjoy a cool breeze on a hot day.
- Install cheap landscape treatments instead of hiring an expensive contractor to do everything yourself. One way to save money is by investing in low-cost landscaping products that you can use yourself, such as mulch or gravel sealers/topcoats.
The exterior of your home is one of the first things people see and it can set the tone for the rest of your property. If you’re looking to spruce up your home without breaking the bank, follow these tips for transforming your exterior on a budget. From updating your landscaping to adding new colors and textures to your home’s exterior, there are plenty of ways to jazz up your home without spending a fortune.